Job Title: Apprentice Software Developer
Employer: BMS Group
Full Address: BMS Group, One America Square, London EC3N 2LS
Weekly Hours worked: 37.5
Salary: £20K-£22K DOE
Please contact Tom Lindley on email@example.com or call 01133 500 333
About the company:
BMS is a dynamic global broker that provides specialist insurance, reinsurance and capital markets advisory services. Today we place $2.9bn of premiums each year and employ more than 520 people across 22 offices around the world in key hubs such as London, New York, Madrid, Singapore and Sydney.
This position is working within the IT & Change team at BMS and is the ideal opportunity for an aspiring Software Developer to join a growing and busy team as they embark on a number of projects to deliver the capabilities central to the success of BMS.
The apprentice will work closely with the Senior Developer and wider development team within the Business Applications arm of IT & Change.
This is an opportunity to learn ‘on the job’ in a dynamic and collaborative environment whilst earning a qualification at the same time. In this role the apprentice will support the team in developing and managing core critical applications used within the BMS Group broking divisions. We have bespoke applications that require full development processes and we use vendor solutions that require maintenance/configuration to ensure that the business users are fully supported.
Brief Job Description:
Estio Training have an exciting new opportunity for a Software Developer to join BMS’s growing IT & Change team.
Your duties and responsibilities in this role will consist of:
- Assist with the migration of the current C# ASP.NET web applications to a new Azure cloud environment, including utilising Azure development best practices.
- Support building technical solutions to requirements driven by the broking divisions
- Test these changes with either automated tools or manual testing
- Build a strong network of relationships across the business, in order to deliver accurate and timely solutions
- Adhere to BMS development standards and change process
- Assist in support tickets raised in regard to BMS custom developed applications
- Adhere to company and regulatory policies, procedures together with mandatory training requirements.
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
- Ability to work well in a team and contribute positively to team goals
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- A passion and willingness to learn
- Dynamic, highly motivated and ambitious
- Personally demonstrate the five BMS values and ensure that team members are aligned with these: Accountable, Entrepreneurial, Collaborative, Empowering and Disciplined.
- Programming knowledge and/or experience required, ideally in ASP.NET, C# and Azure development.
- Any knowledge of Azure DevOps an advantage.
- Level 3 qualifications such as A Levels, Advanced Apprenticeship, NVQ or BTEC
- Must be a self-starter & be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and can adapt to meet the needs of the audience
- Ability to grasp the significance and meaning of a range of technical and complex issues
The role offers the opportunity to progress into a long term contract or permanent position.
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt.
Learners will receive ten weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual assessment, and help and guidance from a dedicated trainer who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 4 Software Developer Standard with training in areas such as:
- Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
- Creative Problem Solving
- Software Development Methodologies
- Human Computer Interaction
- Software Testing Fundamentals
- Software Language
- Developing Software using SQL
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org