Data Technician Apprenticeship
Enhance your business’s analytic capabilities by hiring a data technician apprentice, or by upskilling existing staff. The ability to make decisions using data is a necessity and a key advantage for any business, but many organisations are unable to capitalise on the data they hold due to a shortage of experts with the relevant skills. Our Data Technician Level 3 apprenticeship will help you to hire entry-level data specialists or upskill existing employees.
Skills gained with a data technician apprenticeship
A qualified Level 3 Data Technician can:
- Source and migrate data from already identified different sources and collect, format and save datasets
- Clean data
- Blend data sets from multiple sources and present in a format appropriate to the task
- Manipulate and link different data sets
- Apply basic statistical methods and algorithms and use different tools to identify trends and patterns in data
- Apply cross checking techniques for identifying faults and data results
- Produce clear and consistent technical documentation using standard organisational templates
- Summarise and explain data and results to different audiences
- 13 months plus assessment
- Study modes
- Online teaching, coaching and workplace development
- Qualifications Achieved
- Level 3 Data Technician
Benefits of a data technician apprenticeship
A data technician apprenticeship will:
- Help you to maximise the value of data assets
- Allow you to work with organisational data, retrieving it from multiple sources
- Build scalable data models while cleaning and transforming data
- Produce visualisations that are easy to comprehend and provide meaningful value to your business
Data apprenticeships will:
- Enable you to identify the right data sources for your business to inform decision making
- Help you to collect, compile and cleanse data accurately and securely
- Allow you to actively contribute to the success of your business by using data effectively
- Allow you to learn while you earn
- Open up your career path, potentially leading to further apprenticeships and training
- Provide you with a flexible learning environment
Our Level 3 Data Technician apprenticeship will teach you how to access, extract, collate and format data, and how to tell the difference between different types of data. A qualified data technician knows the different methods of validating data and how to take corrective action, as well as how to undertake blending of data from multiple sources. They understand the role of data in the context of the digital world, including the use of eternal trusted open data sets, how data underpins every digital interaction, and connectedness across the digital landscape.
- Foundation maths
- Introduction to Data Theory
- Excel Data Fundamentals
- Excel Handling Data and Pivot Tables
- Power BI Fundamentals
- Databases and SQL Foundation
- SQL in Practice
- Advanced Excel/R or Python Fundamentals
- Statistical and Data Analysis Tools
Each apprenticeship course has a standard set of competencies – Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours – that are focused on throughout the programme. The Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours are evaluated through the End-Point Assessment (EPA), which is completed in the last month of the apprenticeship. The EPA is conducted by an external assessor, and will include the following elements that need to be completed in order to finish the apprenticeship.
- A summative portfolio
- A knowledge test
- A project with interview
Entry requirements may vary depending on the requirements of the employer. Usually, a minimum of 5 GCSEs with grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), including English and Maths, will be required. Apprentices that don’t have GCSE English and maths at the required level may have to undertake mandatory Functional Skills as part of the apprenticeship course to achieve Level 2 prior to the End-Point Assessment.
This apprenticeship programme costs £12,000, all covered through the Apprenticeship Levy. Even if your business doesn’t pay into the Levy, the government funds 95% of all apprenticeship training, with your business only paying 5%.
Data Technician Apprenticeship Standard
According to the Data Technician Apprenticeship Standard, these data apprenticeships are designed to teach learners to source, format and present data securely in a relevant way for analysis. It outlines the many duties of a data apprentice, including:
- Sourcing data from a collection of already identified trusted sources in a secure manner.
- Collating and format data to facilitate processing and presentation for review and further advanced analysis by others.
- Presenting data for review and analysis by others using required medium for example tables, charts and graphs.
- Blending data by combining data from various sources and formats to explore its relevance for the business needs.
- Analysing simple and complex structured and unstructured data to support business outcomes using basic statistical methods to analyse the data.
Why choose our data technician apprenticeship?
Estio is a leading provider of digital and technology apprenticeship programmes, offering a comprehensive apprenticeship course informed by industry expertise, and delivered remotely to ensure enough flexibility for your apprentice’s needs to be suited.
What does a data technician apprentice do?
Data technician apprentices will learn on the job how to manage data, and how to use their findings to benefit their business.
What is a data technician apprenticeship?
A data technician apprenticeship allows businesses to upskill existing staff or hire entry-level data specialists to enhance your analytic capabilities. Data apprentices will earn as they learn, applying practical skills such as reporting or creating dashboards to their everyday work.
Job roles for data technician apprentices
Studying a data technician apprenticeship can open doors in a range of jobs, including:
- Data support analyst
- Data technician
- Junior data analyst
- Junior information analyst
What our employers say
Estio developed a Data Technician programme to match our requirements for an Excel based programme. They’ve been very supportive in our growing needs and we look forward to continuing the partnership.
What our learners say
I couldn’t recommend Estio Training enough for their delightfully helpful, hands-on team, who made my journey in finding my next career venture feel like such a completely stress-free and pleasant experience.
Register for updates from Estio
For information on new courses and opportunities
Latest from Estio
Breaking into the marketing industry: Mya’s story
Having completed our Level 3 Digital Marketing apprenticeship in May 2023 with a Distinction whilst working at Kent based marketing agency, I Do Marketing Ltd, Mya Clarivette has gained valuable learning and work experiences that will stay with her throughout her marketing career. Influences on wanting a marketing career Mya first fell in love with […]
Help NGOs build digital solutions for a humanitarian crisis
Technology performs best when it’s built together and used together to better define its purpose and impact. 70% of employees said technology improved collaboration and 83% of employees rely on using technology for collaboration. This means technology has the power to help individuals and organisations. For example, NGOs (non-profit organisations) need help from software development […]
How to transform your business with CRM developers and apprenticeships
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems are digital systems that help businesses manage customer relationships and data. They are the sound way for businesses to acquire new customers and nurture existing ones. CRM developers help businesses face challenges Successful CRM systems enable businesses to have smooth interactions with customers. As a result, businesses can nurture customer […]
How do DevOps Engineers protect software
As businesses scale SaaS, they share software with more clients and people to use. It’s important that software is protected whilst it’s scaled, or it won’t be effective. Software security Software security means ensuring security at every stage of the software development lifecycle. Software security steps needed: Integrating security into every stage of the development […]