Cyber Security Technologist Apprenticeship
In today’s world of total reliance on the internet alongside cloud-based platforms and software, cyber-attacks are certainly one of the biggest threats to your business. Your financial and customer data, website, people and general daily operational functioning are permanently at risk, unless you find a way to tackle this. Our Level 4 Cyber Security apprenticeship helps you regain control of your security.
Skills gained with cyber apprenticeships
A qualified cyber security apprentice can:
- Analyse and evaluate security threats and hazards to a system or service
- Undertake security risk assessments and propose basic remediation advice
- Recognise anomalies in observed digital system data structures
- Undertake root cause analysis of events and make recommendations to reduce false positives and false negatives
- Recommend improvements to the cyber security posture based on research into future potential cyber threats and considering threat trends
- 15 months plus assessment
- Study modes
- Online teaching, coaching and workplace development
- Qualifications Achieved
- Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist
The benefits of a cyber security program
- Give your employees full knowledge and understanding of security concepts and technology
- Equip your business to develop and deploy the necessary measures to eliminate potential threats
- Help you to plan ahead with confidence, protecting yourself and customers
- Meet the growing demand for expertise in security challenges across networking, hardware, software, cloud computing, infrastructure security and more
- Encourage new talent to fill your skills gap
Becoming an apprentice in cyber security will:
- Enable you to understand how to defend against cyber attacks
- Focus on real-world applications of the skills learned throughout the course, helping you to learn while you earn
- Lead to a stimulating and varied career, putting you on the front line of defence against cyber attacks
- Open up the professional world, as cyber security roles can be found in a variety of different sectors
- Learn flexibly with our virtual training platform throughout your cyber apprenticeship
A qualified Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist will know the main types of attack techniques, using the role of human behaviour to mitigate these. They will understand basic terminology and concepts of cryptography, different risk assessment and audit methodologies, the function and features of digital system components, and the significance of identified trends in cyber security threats. Cyber security apprentices will also be able to analyse employer and customer requirements to derive security objectives, taking account of any threats or overall context to develop a security case laying out the proposed measures.
- Introduction to Cyber Security
- Legislation and Ethics
- Networking and System Security
- Identifying and Responding to Threats
- Risk Assessment
- Specialism Module: Security Engineer or Risk Analyst or Defend and Respond
Each apprenticeship course has a standard set of competencies – Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours – that are focused on throughout the programme. The Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours are evaluated through the End-Point Assessment (EPA), which is completed in the last month of the apprenticeship. The EPA is conducted by an external assessor, and will include the following elements that need to be completed in order to finish the apprenticeship.
- A portfolio
- A professional discussion
- A knowledge test
- Project Report
- A scenario demonstration with Q&A
Entry requirements may vary between cyber apprenticeships depending on the requirements of the employer. Usually, a Level 3 qualification such as A Levels, NVQs, a BTEC or a Level 3 Apprenticeship will be required. Employers may also expect a minimum of 5 GCSEs with grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) including English and maths. Apprentices that don’t have GCSE English and maths at the required level may need to undertake mandatory Functional Skills as part of the apprenticeship to achieve Level 2 prior to End-Point Assessment.
This apprenticeship programme costs £18,000, all covered through the Apprenticeship Levy. Even if your business doesn’t pay into the Levy, the government funds 95% of all apprenticeship training, with your business only paying 5%.
Cyber Security Technologist Apprenticeship Standard
This is a level 4 apprenticeship designed to teach learners to apply an understanding of cyber security to protect from attacks and unauthorised access. Duties of those becoming an apprentice cyber security technologist include:
- Identifying cyber vulnerabilities in a system to ensure security is maintained.
- Identifying security threats and hazards to a system, service or processes to inform risk assessments and design of security features.
- Researching and investigating attack techniques and recommend ways to defend against them.
- Supporting cyber security risk assessments, cyber security audits and cyber security incident management.
- Developing security designs with design justification to meet the defined cyber security parameters.
Why choose our cyber apprenticeship?
Estio is a leading provider of digital and technology apprenticeship programmes, offering a comprehensive apprenticeship course informed by industry expertise, and delivered remotely to ensure enough flexibility for your apprentice’s needs to be suited. Completing cyber security apprenticeships will open many doors for your future career.
What does a cyber security technologist apprentice do?
The primary role of a cyber security technologist apprentice is to develop and apply an understanding of cyber threats, hazards, risks, controls, measures and mitigations to protect a variety of different organisation systems and people from cyber-crime.
What is a cyber security apprenticeship?
A cyber security apprenticeship will prepare you to keep cyber-crime at bay, untangling malware and decrypting data. Throughout the course, you will build upon your information security skills, learning how cyber threats present themselves, and how to defend your business against them.
Job roles for cyber security technologist apprentices
Completing a cyber security apprenticeship may help you become:
- Cyber operations manager
- Cyber risk analyst
- Intelligence researcher
- Security analyst
- Security architect
What our employers say
From the offset, Estio have demonstrated commitment, professionalism and expertise and it is a pleasure working with them. We’re confident that our colleagues enrolled with Estio have an invaluable learning experience and we look forward to the future as we continue to work with Estio to deliver apprenticeships in the digital space.
What our learners say
I couldn’t recommend Estio Training enough for their delightfully helpful, hands-on team, who made my journey in finding my next career venture feel like such a completely stress-free and pleasant experience.
Register for updates from Estio
For information on new courses and opportunities
Latest from Estio
Breaking into the marketing industry: Mya’s story
Having completed our Level 3 Digital Marketing apprenticeship in May 2023 with a Distinction whilst working at Kent based marketing agency, I Do Marketing Ltd, Mya Clarivette has gained valuable learning and work experiences that will stay with her throughout her marketing career. Influences on wanting a marketing career Mya first fell in love with […]
Help NGOs build digital solutions for a humanitarian crisis
Technology performs best when it’s built together and used together to better define its purpose and impact. 70% of employees said technology improved collaboration and 83% of employees rely on using technology for collaboration. This means technology has the power to help individuals and organisations. For example, NGOs (non-profit organisations) need help from software development […]
How to transform your business with CRM developers and apprenticeships
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems are digital systems that help businesses manage customer relationships and data. They are the sound way for businesses to acquire new customers and nurture existing ones. CRM developers help businesses face challenges Successful CRM systems enable businesses to have smooth interactions with customers. As a result, businesses can nurture customer […]
How do DevOps Engineers protect software
As businesses scale SaaS, they share software with more clients and people to use. It’s important that software is protected whilst it’s scaled, or it won’t be effective. Software security Software security means ensuring security at every stage of the software development lifecycle. Software security steps needed: Integrating security into every stage of the development […]