Today is World Environment Day, so we are taking this opportunity to pledge to reduce our environmental impact.
World Environment Day is the United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment. Since it began in 1974, the event has grown to become a global platform for public outreach that is widely celebrated in over 100 countries. The theme for this year is air pollution.
As a member of the Palatine Impact portfolio, we recognise our responsibility to measure our impact on society and the environment and be proactive with ensuring that the impact we do have is a positive one.
Following an audit of our business practices, we found that around 85% of our carbon footprint is generated from a high number of miles being covered across the business. The other portion of our footprint is generated from the amount of electricity we use – the production of which also emits CO2 gasses into the atmosphere.
Today we pledge to reduce our carbon footprint by:
- Reducing our fuel emissions
- Increasing our use of remote coaching sessions to reduce the amount of travelling by our Skills Coaches.
- Further encouraging our staff to cycle or use public transport. Our offices are deliberately located within city centres to make public transport an option for most.
- Utilising conference calling wherever possible when communicating with each other across each of our four locations.
- Coordinating our Client Engagement Team’s visits in close geographical proximity, to maximise client interaction while minimising fuel consumption.
- Reducing our electricity usage
- Assigning a member of the team at each of our sites to ensure our training equipment is powered down when not in use.
- Further encouraging staff to power down their IT equipment overnight and when not in use.
- We also pledge to encourage all our staff to use the ecosia search engine, which promises to plant a tree for every search generated.
Further to our pledge, we’ve joined Palatine’s #BeatAirPollution campaign to reduce our carbon footprint whilst raising money for the City of Trees charity.
Today we’ve encouraged our team to walk, cycle or use public transport for their commute today. Estio will donate on colleagues’ behalves, based on the cost of a return journey to work. Those that must drive also have the option of donating based on how much CO2 their journey to and from work has generated.